CFRTP has good property for weight reduction and strength. Fiber orientation can be observed by thermal??

I am TAGOO. It has been busy for equipment production and installation from last year end to this spring. At last, I went to the USA. It was my first visit to the USA and I was so nervous that I had bad health. Many people kindly helped me. I appreciate for their help. “Thank you”

This time, I’m going to measure this material.


This is CFRTP, having good property for weight reduction and strength, resin molding mixed with carbon fiber.

Watching carefully, unevenness can be found on the surface. Is this deviation of carbon fiber?


The higher model of Thermo Wave Analyzer “TA35” is suited because I would like to measure distribution.
https://hrd-thermal.jp/en/res/pdf/unique/apparatus/apparatus-ta.pdf  (Catalog PDF)

Start preparation for measurement.

This is too thick to measure. So I’m going to make thinner. Right now the thickness is 3mm. The target is less than 500μm.

However, 750μm by big effort.

Anyways start measurement.

Bad smell…… Burned by laser.

Try again. Now 365μm.


Clearing the target, measure again.

The measuring area is here.


Here the signal can be catched.
What is the result?


There seems be deviation in thermal diffusivity. This is influenced by carbon fiber orientation

……No, the burned area shows different thermal diffusivity.
I thought the influence upon surrounding is little, but there may be not little. 

Again…

Totally the carbon fiber orientation is going toward top-right. Thermal diffusivity average is 1.60 ×10-7 [m2s-1]. (The property may be changed by burning….) 

Next time, I will try not to fail.

Comments